Good article_Ankle Syndesmotic injury (stick it in your library)

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Good article_Ankle Syndesmotic injury (stick it in your library)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael McMurray
      Keymaster

I had a patient with a pretty significant high ankle injury; so I thought of this article from Ed Mulligan from a few years ago.

It is a great one and worthy of a read and saving to your library.

Cheers – post thoughts.

Have a great holiday weekend – see ya in Lynchburg.

Eric

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      August Winter
      Participant

Eric thanks for posting. Since I have yet to see someone with this diagnosis my thoughts really just boil down to some questions I had for you/others:

– What special tests do you like to incorporate? I like the idea of using the malleolar compression as a quick test during functional mobility, but I’m not sure how much utility that has during an eval or during assisting a provocative movement during treatment.

– What have you found successful for bracing/taping? Eric I know when you had that eval it seemed like you spent a significant amount of time discussing the patient’s current orthotics.

Good to see everyone this weekend!

Scott Resetar
      Participant

Yeah, great article. I love the description of the special tests, and ideas for treatment.

I think the real gem of this article is table 3, which shows a bunch of activity variables for proprioceptive balance training. I usually have the typical eyes open/closed, standing on unstable surface, with and without other extremity movements. This table has other great ideas like doing these training exercises in dorsiflexed or plantarflexed position, and also changing head position during the exercise. I rarely use these variables, and it would be great to use them more.

Pretty cool taping technique at the bottom, but I have little confidence I could complete that tape job correctly in less than an hour.

Justin Bittner
        Participant

In addition to the proprioceptive variables with balance training, I found the pictures highlighting the ankle position during biking and nu-step. I generally have all patient’s do some kind of warm up and I know I don’t typically put much thought into their ankle position during biking. Will definitely take note of this during warm ups for my ankle patient now.

I would be curious to here anybody’s thoughts and or experience with the braces from the article as I have little experience.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.