Lancet LBP Reviews

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lancet LBP Reviews

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Erik Lineberry
      Participant

Hey guys, my name is Erik. I was a resident in the last VOMPTI cohort. I came across this headline today Many back pain patients may be getting the wrong care on BBC news. I am not one to partake in clickbait articles usually, but this one caught my eye. It referenced a series of studies just released on The Lancet(that impact factor) attached below. It’s all a good read and it is always interesting to see what gets pulled from research articles to be made into journalism. Take a look and post your thoughts.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Kyle Feldman

Glad they talk about less imaging, less meds and less surgery. At least we can get that out to the mainstream.

Sadly, the easier reads are what the media writers can understand so they are more likely to pull those articles. They are also known to spin words to fit the story. Luckily we as PTs stay on the positive side of this one

Erik Lineberry
        Participant

I thought it was interesting how the BBC article really toed the line in regards to use of opioids.

Justin Pretlow
      Participant

I read the Lancet reviews first before taking a look at the BBC link. I’m glad that the BBC article is encouraging exercise/staying active and makes multiple points about decreasing the fear of movement/activity. Some of the BBC article points could use just a little more explanation(even though its purpose may be to oversimplify the lengthy topics in the Lancet reviews). For example, the BBC article states that scans/imaging is rarely indicated because it’s often inconclusive. Whereas, the Lancet article talks at length about how imaging findings in people with LBP can be found in asymptomatic people – no evidence exists that imaging improves patient outcomes – liberal use of imaging triggers additional medical care and increased risk of adverse outcomes.
      I guess I should probably just be glad that information discouraging unnecessary use of imaging, medications, and medical procedures is reaching the general public and hopefully encouraging people to learn more about their medical care.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.