June Journal Club Case

Home Forums Journal Club Case Discussion Forum June Journal Club Case

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  August Winter 3 months ago.

• Author

AJ Lievre

Just a thought based on previous experience. As I mentioned during the conference call in my experience heel drop test usually leads to pain reproduction in irritable patients. The fact that this patient is on immunosuppressants I would suggest having discitis (infection of the disc) on your radar. Certainly rare, but I have had 2 cases before with insidious onset of LBP presenting like a disc pathology that wound up having discitis. Highly irritable with a positive heel drop. Neither of which were showing signs of systemic infection at the initial evaluation and neither had any directional preference (if i remember right).

August Winter
    Participant

AJ, thanks for posting. It certainly wasn’t on my radar but definitely makes sense. I think for my patient in particular, he had a MOI (albeit a rather innocuous one) and overall was not very irritable. The heel drop is not something I was really using before this fall so in my limited experience I’ve seen both irritable and non-irritable patients with positive tests, with the magnitude of their response correlating with their overall subj/obj irritability.

I’ll keep an eye on this gentlemen going forward and certainly will consider something like discitis in the future.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.