Wrist Injury review_Golf specific

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Wrist Injury review_Golf specific

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael McMurray
      Keymaster

A good review to put in your elbow/wrist/hand library.

We don’t see many in our clinic because of the Hand Clinic getting all related diagnoses.

Lots of good MRI pics.

Have a read – post some thoughts.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Kyle Feldman

Eric, Great read.
      I have not seen many elite golfers or many hand patients, but having this for when the day comes is awesome.
      I also feel that it will be great to reference for those avid gardeners or even tennis players with funky grip styles.

The biggest theme I saw in this post was that X-rays and CT’s will show the fractures, but all of those elite overuse issues need an MRI.

I did not see treatment approaches, but I feel that many of these begins with rest and controlled loading as well as manual/stretches to improve hypomobilities or limited motion. WOuld you all agree?

I feel that as PTs we have some money treatment options that clear 70% of the issues that walk in our door.
      Having this research and going that extra mile gets those other 20% better. That last 10% I am still trying to figure out what to do

Laura Thornton

I love this article for the references back to hand/wrist positions on the club and effects of ball contact relating back to these injuries/conditions.

The authors also made interesting points about the differences between amateurs and professionals, whereas the professionals tend to have higher swing speeds and greater impact forces, as well as higher tendency for overuse injuries rather than acute.

I would even suggest taking fatigue as a factor as well, where swing mechanics and efficiency would be more impaired at the end of rounds. The same with incline, where wrist positioning at contact might also change when hitting from incline/decline positions. In addition, the concept of hitting “downward” is usually associated with irons, which is different than hitting with a driver in which players would tend to hit up/outward from a tee.

Along with Kyle’s suggestions for treatment approaches, I would suggest a swing analysis with different clubs, incline/decline changes, and possible effect of fatigue to symptoms. This is where I also think communication with the player’s pro/coach would come into play, comparing where and when the player has symptoms to if mechanics or grip positions would need to be modified.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.